– Pottery Trial Classes
In the health interests of visitors & ourselves we are currently ON HOLD for on-site pottery activities. We are hoping to be able re-open in some form for POTTERY CLASSES during EARLY AUGUST (we will review this in-line with Government Guidance). In the meantime, we have TAKE AWAY POTTERY PAINTING KITS available for overnight hire & our POTTERY GALLERY/SHOP can be booked for private (no pressure to buy) browsing.
Get In Touch With The Clay
NB: Regular times/availability may vary due to Special Event Days/Weekends.
Our pottery trial classes are great fun and take place in our fully-equipped studio.
They will be available for booking Thurs & Sat from 10.30am and last 2-2.5 hours depending on how many in the class and booking will be essential .
They are designed for complete beginners and provide a chance to try pottery out in a relaxed atmosphere with lots of help and encouragement.
They are perfect for young and old and suitable for children of 5 and above.
During the class you will get to try out 3 pottery techniques (wheel throwing, pinch pots and tiles).
At the end you can choose your 3 favourite pieces each to leave for glazing and firing with a choice of house glazes.
How Many People In A Class?
Due to Covid-19 we have had to make large changes to our studio layout.
We now have four distinct work areas (with everything that is needed for the class), separated by 1.5-2m. These are for use by up to 2 people who do not need to socially distance from each other. As before we can take up to 8 people in total but an ideal scenario would be multiples of 2.
If you are a group of friends who need to socially distance or you want to come on your own, please do contact us to see if we have space. We will always try and fit you in.
What To Wear
Maybe not your best clothes, clay is messy but does wash out! We do provide aprons and towels.
We advise taking off large rings and bracelets, trying long hair back and rolling up sleeves. Also, long fingernails are not helpful to you when working with clay!
As a result of Covid-19 we have reluctantly had to make changes to our classes and how they operate. We have worked hard to enable classes to run and that they are as low risk to ourselves and customers as possible. We ask for your patience and diligence in observing social distancing while you are here.
For our part we will:
- reduce the number of classes we run and allow more time for certain parts of the class
- ask you to be on time and wait outside (observing social distancing or in your car) until everyone has arrived (please note: there may be people still collecting/returning pottery painting kits)
- introduce ourselves, establish groups and direct you to the handwash and sanitiser facilities before showing you to your work area
- ask you keep personal items to a minimum (these will need to be stowed at your work area during class)
- provide an on-line video for you to watch before you come as demos in class will not be as easy to see as before (in-class demos will be a reminder of the video)
- help and advise as much as possible but will have to observe social distancing
- wear masks, you don’t have to but masks and gloves will be available if you want them (please take them with you when you go)
- ask that you work within your work area and do not share kit
- ensure good window and door ventilation but try to keep the studio warm!
- provide handwash and sanitiser in our toilets/at our clay handwash sink and ask you to observe social distancing when using them
- provide hand pre-wash facilities in your work area for when you come off the pottery wheel with clay on your hands!
- ask you to take some responsibility for cleaning your wheel during and at the end of class (& observe social distancing when doing so)
- allocate groups to toilets to keep numbers of people using each to a minimum (maximum 4)
- clean and sanitise the tables, chairs, pottery wheels, class and throwing kit, aprons, towels, toilets, hand wash facilities, till and card machine, hand touch points and floor after every class
- enable glaze choices to be made in the main studio at the end of the class (the glaze studio where the kilns are is unfortunately too small to visit at the moment due to social distancing)
Pottery trial classes cost £40.00 per person including all materials and glazing and firing (we fire every 6 weeks). This includes being able to leave 3 favourite pieces each for glazing & firing. Extra pieces will be charged at £2.50- £4.00 per piece depending on size.
Collection of fired pots is possible in person if you live locally or if a firing is due while you are here. If delivery is required it is a one off cost of £17.50 to send a box(es) of pots to one UK address.
Booking Your Class
Contact Us to find out more or to make a booking for a class.
In terms of payment, we prefer CASH over card payment on the day if possible as we can no longer share card payment charges customers. We hope you understand.
Social distancing, good ventilation and sanitising will be observed at the till and groups will be asked to pay one at a time before they leave.
Cancellations/No Show Policy
Click Here – to see our Cancellations/No Show Policy particularly in relation to Covid-19.
From our perspective well-behaved dogs have always been welcome in our studio but due to the current situation studio space is at a premium. If it is a small class and others don’t mind no problems but please check before bringing pooch!
Observers have always been welcome in our classes but at present spare studio space and seating is limited. There is an option for one work area to include up to 2 observers who can sit on the sofa near them without getting too close to other groups. Please ask when booking about this so we can make sure you are allocated to the right work area!