– Pottery Trial Classes
We are now ‘Good to Go’ @HotPotPottery and have TAKE AWAY POTTERY PAINTING KITS available for overnight hire Wed-Sat, POTTERY TRIAL CLASSES bookable Thurs & Sat and our POTTERY GALLERY/SHOP can be booked for private (no pressure to buy!) browsing. Booking essential.
For the forseeable future our 8 Week Courses, Larger Parties/Celebrations, Corporate/Special Events and Group Meals will not be possible.
Get In Touch With The Clay
Our pottery trial classes are great fun and take place in our fully-equipped studio.
They can be booked Thurs & Sat (from 10.30am) and last 2-2.5 hours depending on how many in the class. BOOKING ESSENTIAL.
They are designed for complete beginners and provide a chance to try pottery out in a relaxed atmosphere with lots of help and encouragement.
They are perfect for young and old and suitable for children of 5 and above.
During the class you will get to try out 3 pottery techniques (wheel throwing, pinch pots and tiles) with lots of help and advice.
At the end you can choose your 3 favourite pieces each to leave for glazing and firing with a choice of house glazes.
You can also order coffee/tea/cold drinks to be served to your table during the class.
How Many People In A Class?
Due to Covid-19 we have had to make changes to our studio layout.
We can take 2-8 people in a class.
We have four separate work areas (with everything you need for the class), separated by 1.5-2m. These are to be used by up to 2 people who do not need to socially distance from each other.
We can take up to 8 people in total ideally in multiples of 2.
If you are a group of friends who need to socially distance or you want to come on your own, please do contact us to see if we have space. We will always try and fit you in.
How Do I Know What To Do?
We always start classes with live demonstrations and we provide lots of help and advice throughout.
However, we have also recorded ON-LINE DEMO VIDEOS for you to have a look at before your class. One is an INTRODUCTION TO WHEEL THROWING, the other is an INTRODUCTION TO PINCH POTS & TILES. These will be helpful to you as our in-class demos currently have to be ‘hands off’.
What Should I Wear?
Maybe not your best clothes, clay is messy but does wash out! We do provide aprons, towels and hand-wash facilities.
We advise taking off large rings and bracelets, trying long hair back and rolling up sleeves. Also, long fingernails are not helpful to you when working with clay!
As a result of Covid-19 we have had to make changes to our classes and how they operate. We have worked hard to enable classes can run and be as low risk to ourselves and customers as possible.
We ask for your patience and diligence on social distancing while you are here.
In line with Government Guidance on shops we also ask that you bring and wear a mask during class. If you don’t have one with you we can provide them for you at £1.50 per mask. Gloves will also be available should you want them.
For our part we will:
- reduce the number of classes we run and allow more time for certain parts of the class
- ask you to be on time and wait outside (observing social distancing or in your car) until everyone has arrived (please note: there may be people still collecting/returning pottery painting kits)
- introduce ourselves, establish groups and direct you to the handwash and sanitiser facilities before showing you to your work area
- ask you keep personal items to a minimum (these will need to be stowed at your work area during class)
- provide on-line videos for you to watch before you come as demos in class may not be as easy to see as before (in-class demos will be a reminder of the video)
- help and advise as much as possible but observe social distancing
- wear masks during the class
- ask that you work within your work area and do not share kit between work areas
- ensure good window and door ventilation but try to keep the studio warm!
- provide handwash and sanitiser in our toilets/at our clay handwash sink and ask you to observe social distancing when using them
- provide hand pre-wash facilities in your work area for when you come off the pottery wheel with clay on your hands!
- ask you to take some responsibility for cleaning your wheel during and at the end of class (& observe social distancing when doing so)
- allocate groups to toilets to keep numbers of people using each to a minimum (maximum will be 4 people per toilet)
- clean and sanitise the tables, chairs, pottery wheels, class and throwing kit, toilets, hand wash facilities, till and card machine, hand touch points and floor after every class
- ask you to put all dirty aprons and towels in the laundry bag at the end of class so we can wash them between classes
- enable glaze choices and labelling to be done in the main studio as the glaze studio where the kilns are is unfortunately too small to visit as a group due to social distancing
Pottery trial classes cost £40.00 per person including all materials and glazing and firing (we fire every 6 weeks). This includes being able to leave 3 favourite pieces each for glazing & firing. Extra pieces will be charged at £2.50- £4.00 per piece depending on size.
Collection of fired pots is possible in person if you live locally or if a firing is due while you are here. If delivery is required it is a one off cost of £17.50 to send a box(es) of pots to one UK address.
Booking Your Class
Contact Us to find out more or to make a booking for a class.
In terms of payment, we prefer CASH over card payment on the day if possible (unless on-line pre-payment is appropriate) as we can no longer share card payment charges customers. We hope you understand.
If paying here, social distancing, good ventilation and sanitising will be observed at the till.
Cancellations/No Show Policy
Click Here – to see our Cancellations/No Show Policy particularly in relation to Covid-19.
From our perspective well-behaved dogs have always been welcome in our studio but due to the current situation studio space is at a premium. If it is a small class and others don’t mind no problems but please check before bringing pooch!
Observers have always been welcome in our classes but at present spare studio space and seating is limited. There is an option for one work area to include up to 2 observers who can sit on the sofa near them without getting too close to other groups. Please ask when booking about this so we can make sure you are allocated to the right work area!