– 1 Day Wheel Throwing Workshops – BOOK NOW!
We are now ‘Good to Go’ @HotPotPottery and have TAKE AWAY POTTERY PAINTING KITS available for overnight hire Wed-Sat, POTTERY TRIAL CLASSES bookable Thurs & Sat and our POTTERY GALLERY/SHOP can be booked for private (no pressure to buy!) browsing. Booking essential.
For the forseeable future our 8 Week Courses, Larger Parties/Celebrations, Corporate/Special Events and Group Meals will not be possible.
Dedicated Wheel Throwing Workshops
We put on our one day dedicated wheel throwing workshops approximately once a month.
These are a whole day of throwing, decorating favourite pots with slip and a home-made lunch.
They are suitable for complete beginners but not suitable for younger children. Individual advice & own wheel (with a name!) for the day. We have recorded a useful on-line ‘Introduction To Wheel Throwing’ video which you may want to watch before your class to get an idea what wheel throwing is all about.
Small class size (4 maximum, 2 minimum).
Our next classes are:
- Sat 10th October (FULLY BOOKED)
- Sun 8th November (2 SPACES STILL AVAILABLE)
- Dec (DATE TBC)
10.00-10.30 – arrive, introduction to the day and introductory throwing demonstration
10.30-12.30 – preparing clay, throwing with lots of guidance, encouragement and help
12.30-1.30 – enjoy a home-made lunch (relax and take in what you have learnt)
1.30-3.00 – continue throwing on the wheel with help and encouragement
3.00-3.30 – wheel & studio clean down
3.30 – 5.00 – choosing and drying favourite pots and decorating with slip (coloured liquid clay) & labelling ready for firing & glazing with clear glaze
Due to Covid-19 we have had to make changes to our studio layout.
We now have four distinct wheel throwing areas (with everything you need for the class), separated by 1.5-2m for use by 1 person and we can take up to 4 people in a class.
What To Wear
NOT your best clothes, clay is messy but does wash out! We do provide aprons, towels and hand-wash facilities.
We advise taking off large rings and bracelets, trying long hair back and rolling up sleeves. Also, long fingernails are not helpful to you when working on the wheel!
As a result of Covid-19 we have had to make changes to our classes to enable them to run and be as low risk as possible.
We ask for your patience and diligence on social distancing while you are here.
Please wear a mask during class (apart from children under 11 or those exempt from wearing them for medical reasons). If you don’t have a mask you can buy one at £2.00 per mask. Gloves are also available should you want them (£2.00 per pair).
We start classes with live demonstrations and we provide lots of help and advice throughout. We have also recorded an ON-LINE VIDEO DEMO (INTRODUCTION TO WHEEL THROWING) for you to have a look at before your class. This will be helpful to you as our in-class demos are a little more difficult to see at the moment due to social distancing.
For our part we will:
- ask you to be on time and wait until everyone has arrived
- introduce ourselves, establish groups and ask you to wash your hands before showing you to your work area
- ask you keep personal items to a minimum (these will need to be stowed at your work area during class)
- provide on-line videos for you to watch before you come as demos in class may not be as easy to see as before (in-class demos will be a reminder of the video)
- help and advise as much as possible but observe social distancing
- wear masks during the class
- ask you to work within your work area, provide all you need in that area and ask that you don’t share kit between work areas
- ensure good window and door ventilation but try to keep the studio warm!
- provide handwash and sanitiser facilities in our toilets and hand pre-wash facilities in your work area for when you come off the pottery wheel with clay on your hands!
- ask you to take some responsibility for cleaning your wheel during and at the end of class
- allocate toilets to keep numbers of people using each to a minimum (maximum 2 people per toilet)
- clean and sanitise tables, chairs, wheels, decorating/making kit, toilets & sinks, till/card machine, touch points and floor after every class
- ask you to put aprons and towels in the laundry box at the end of class so we can put them straight in the washing machine
- enable safe sharing and sanitising of slip for decorating
This one day workshop, including clay, own wheel, slip decorating and leaving up to 6 favourite pots for clear glazing and firing will cost: £140.00 (per person).
NB: Delivery will cost £17.50 if collection is not possible once pots are glazed & fired.
Booking Your Workshop
Contact Us to find out more or to book in for this workshop (or register your interest for future ones). Booking essential.
Payment will be on-line in advance. For any items that need to be paid for on the day (extra pieces being left or pottery sales) we would prefer CASH over card payment as we can no longer share card payment charges customers. We hope you understand. Social distancing, good ventilation and sanitising will be observed at the till.
Cancellations/No Show Policy
Click Here – to see our Cancellations/No Show Policy particularly in relation to Covid-19.
From our perspective well-behaved dogs have always been welcome in our studio but due to the current situation studio space is at a premium. If it is a small class and others don’t mind no problems but please check before bringing pooch!