– 1 Day Wheel Throwing Workshops
Due to recent Government announcements Hot Pot Pottery will be re-opening from Dec 2nd 2020.
In all that we do, to keep Covid risks as low as possible, we are registered with Visit England’s ‘Good to Go’ Scheme.
Dedicated Wheel Throwing Workshops
We run our one day dedicated wheel throwing workshops approximately once a month.
These are a whole day of throwing, decorating favourite pots with slip and a home-made lunch.
They are suitable for complete beginners but not suitable for younger children. Individual advice & own wheel (with a name!) for the day. We have recorded a useful on-line ‘Introduction To Wheel Throwing’ video which you may want to watch before your class to get an idea what wheel throwing is all about.
Small class size (4 maximum, 2 minimum).
- Sun 20th Dec 2020 (FULLY BOOKED)
- Sun 24th Jan 2021 (4 SPACES)
- Sun 21st Feb 2021 (1 SPACE)
- Sun 21st March 2021 (FULLY BOOKED)
10.00-10.30 – arrive, introduction to the day and introductory throwing demonstration
10.30-12.30 – preparing clay, throwing with lots of guidance, encouragement and help
12.30-1.30 – enjoy a home-made lunch (relax and take in what you have learnt)
1.30-3.00 – continue throwing on the wheel with help and encouragement
3.00-3.30 – wheel & studio clean down
3.30 – 5.00 – choosing and drying favourite pots and decorating with slip (coloured liquid clay) & labelling ready for firing & glazing with clear glaze
Due to Covid-19 we have had to make changes to our studio layout.
We now have four distinct wheel throwing areas (with everything you need for the class), separated by 1.5-2m for use by 1 person and we can take up to 4 people in a class.
What To Wear
NOT your best clothes, clay is messy but does wash out! We do provide aprons, towels and hand-wash facilities.
We advise taking off large rings and bracelets, trying long hair back and rolling up sleeves. Also, long fingernails are not helpful to you when working on the wheel!
As a result of Covid-19 we have had to make changes to our classes to enable them to be as low risk as possible. We ask for your patience and diligence before and during your class to keep risks low for ALL.
Please provide a lead booker name for each booking. Please scan the QR code (if you have downloaded the app) when you arrive and wear a mask during class (apart from those exempt from wearing them for medical reasons). If you don’t have a mask you can buy one at £2.00 per mask. Gloves are also available should you want them (£2.00 per pair).
We start classes with live demonstrations and we provide lots of help and advice throughout. We have also recorded an ON-LINE VIDEO DEMO (INTRODUCTION TO WHEEL THROWING) for you to have a look at before your class. This will be helpful to you as our in-class demos are a little more difficult to see at the moment due to social distancing.
For our part we will:
- provide QR code posters for Track and Trace
- ask you to be on time and wait until everyone has arrived
- introduce ourselves and ask you to wash your hands before showing you to your work area
- ask you keep personal items to a minimum (these will need to be stowed at your work area during class)
- provide on-line videos for you to watch before you come as demos in class may not be as easy to see as before
- help and advise as much as possible but observe social distancing
- wear masks during the class
- ask you to work within your work area, provide all you need in that area and ask that you don’t share kit between work areas
- ensure good window and door ventilation but try to keep the studio warm!
- provide handwash and sanitiser facilities in our toilets and hand pre-wash facilities in your work area for when you come off the pottery wheel with clay on your hands!
- ask you to take responsibility for cleaning your wheel during and at the end of class
- allocate toilets to keep numbers of people using each to a minimum (maximum 2 people per toilet)
- clean and sanitise tables, chairs, wheels, decorating/making kit, toilets & sinks, till/card machine, touch points and floor after every class
- ask you to put aprons and towels in the laundry box at the end of class so we can put them straight in the washing machine
- enable safe sharing and sanitising of slip bottles when decorating
A one day workshop, including clay, own wheel, slip decorating, lunch and leaving up to 6 favourite pots for clear glazing and firing costs: £140.00 per person.
NB: Delivery will cost £17.50 if collection is not possible once pots are glazed & fired.
Booking Your Workshop
Contact Us to find out more or to book. Booking essential.
Payment will be on-line in advance. For any items that need to be paid for on the day (extra pieces being left or pottery sales) we would prefer CASH over card payment as we can no longer share card payment charges customers. We hope you understand. Social distancing, mask wearing, good ventilation and sanitising will be observed at the till.
Cancellation/No Show Policy
Click Here – to see our Cancellation/No Show Policy particularly in relation to Covid-19.
From our perspective well-behaved dogs have always been welcome in our studio but due to the current situation studio space is at a premium. If it is a small class and others don’t mind no problems but please check before bringing pooch!