– Wheel Throwing Workshops
In the health interests of visitors & ourselves we are currently ON HOLD for on-site pottery activities. We are hoping to be able re-open in some form for POTTERY CLASSES during EARLY AUGUST (we will review this in-line with Government Guidance). In the meantime, we have TAKE AWAY POTTERY PAINTING KITS available for overnight hire & our POTTERY GALLERY/SHOP can be booked for private (no pressure to buy) browsing.
Dedicated Wheel Throwing Workshop
In response to popular demand, alongside our 3 technique pottery trial classes we also offer one day dedicated wheel throwing workshops on specific dates in the year. (Watch this space for dates!)
These are a whole day of throwing, decorating favourite pots with slip and a home-made lunch.
They are suitable for complete beginners but not suitable for younger children. Small class size (4 maximum), individual advice & own wheel (with a name!) for the day.
10.00-10.30 – arrive, introduction to the day and introductory throwing demonstration
10.30-12.30 – preparing clay, throwing with lots of guidance, encouragement and help
12.30-1.30 – enjoy a home-made lunch (relax and take in what you have learnt)
1.30-3.00 – continue throwing on the wheel with help and encouragement
3.00-3.30 – wheel & studio clean down
3.30 – 4.30 – drying pots and decorating with slip (coloured liquid clay) ready for firing & glazing with clear glaze
Due to Covid-19 we have had to make large changes to our studio layout.
We now have four distinct wheel throwing work areas (with everything that is needed for the class), separated by 1.5-2m for use by 1 person and we can take up to 4 people in a class (min class size = 2).
What To Wear
Maybe not your best clothes, clay is messy but does wash out! We do provide aprons and towels.
We advise taking off large rings and bracelets, trying long hair back and rolling up sleeves. Also, long fingernails are not helpful to you when working on the wheel!
As a result of Covid-19 we have reluctantly had to make changes to our classes and how they operate. We have worked hard to enable classes to run and that they are as low risk to ourselves and customers as possible. We ask for your patience and diligence in observing social distancing while you are here.
For our part we will:
- ask you to be on time and wait outside (observing social distancing or in your car) until everyone has arrived (please note: there may be people still collecting/returning pottery painting kits)
- introduce ourselves and direct you to the handwash and sanitiser facilities before showing you to your work area
- ask you keep personal items to a minimum (these will need to be stowed at your work area during class)
- provide an on-line video for you to watch before you come as demos in class will not be as easy to see as before (in-class demos will be a reminder of the video)
- help and advise as much as possible but will have to observe social distancing
- wear masks, you don’t have to but masks and gloves will be available if you want them (please take them with you when you go)
- ask that you work within your work area and do not share kit
- ensure good window and door ventilation but try to keep the studio warm!
- provide handwash and sanitiser in our toilets/at our clay handwash sink and ask you to observe social distancing when using them
- provide hand pre-wash facilities in your work area for when you come off the pottery wheel with clay on your hands!
- ask you to take responsibility for cleaning your wheel during and at the end of class (& observe social distancing when doing so)
- allocate toilets to keep numbers of people using each to a minimum (maximum 2)
- clean and sanitise the tables, chairs, throwing kit, bats, pottery wheels, aprons, towels, toilets, hand wash facilities, till and card machine, hand touch points and floor after every class
- enable safe sharing and sanitising of slip for decorating
This one day workshop, including clay, own wheel, slip decorating and leaving up to 6 favourite pots for clear glazing and firing will cost: £140.00 (per person).
NB: Delivery will cost £17.50 if collection is not possible once pots are glazed & fired.
Booking Your Workshop
Contact Us to find out more or to book in for this workshop (or register your interest for future ones). Booking essential due to limited numbers of places.
Payment will be on-line in advance. For any items that need to be paid for on the day (extra pieces being left or pottery sales) we would prefer cash over card payment as we can no longer share card payment charges customers. We hope you understand. Social distancing, good ventilation and sanitising will be observed at the till.
Cancellations/No Show Policy
Click Here – to see our Cancellations/No Show Policy particularly in relation to Covid-19.
From our perspective well-behaved dogs have always been welcome in our studio but due to the current situation studio space is at a premium. If it is a small class and others don’t mind no problems but please check before bringing pooch!